*Participants are encouraged to attend all classes in the four-week series. If you are not sure whether you can still attend, please contact us! There may be more sessions planned for 2022 and 2023.
Matter of Balance is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels and is taught by a Maui Health Trauma Program team member who has been specially certified to teach this nationally-recognized course.
Classes are every Tuesday and Thursday, at Kaunoa Senior Center, starting August 2.
You will learn to:
- view falls as controllable
- set goals for increasing activity
- make changes to reduce fall risks at home
- exercise to increase strength and balance
Who should attend? Anyone who:
- is 55 and up concerned about falls
- is interested in improving balance, flexibility and strength
- has fallen in the past
- has restricted activities because of a fear of falling
During this four-week “Matter of Balance” course, participants will learn ways to reduce their risk for falls not only at home but also out in the community, as well as the best and safest way to get up from a fall. Additionally, because staying active is an essential tool to prevent falls, this course will also cover ways to stay active and some simple exercises to improve balance.