Since 1952, Maui Memorial Medical Center (MMMC) has played an integral part in our lives by caring for Maui's families and visitors. From its humble roots serving a diverse plantation community, your hospital over the years has grown right along with the island to accommodate our population.
Today this 231-bed, state-of-the-art hospital offers some of the most advanced healthcare in the state. It is the only acute care, full-service hospital serving Maui, Molokai and Lanai.
- Has a world-class Cardiology Department with some of the top physicians in the state, and is the only neighbor island hospital performing open heart surgery and angioplasties.
- Is the only hospital in the state to offer a 24/7 stroke intervention program.
- Is routinely recognized by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association for excellence in patient care.
- Has the second-busiest ER in the state — treating 45,000 patients each year.
- Has the fourth-busiest OB department in the dtate — welcoming over 1,500 babies each year.
- Employs 1,400 of your Maui neighbors including physicians, nurses, pharmacy staff, radiologists, physical therapists, social workers and many more.
Maui Memorial Medical Center is now operated by Maui Health — a local nonprofit healthcare organization, that is a subsidiary of Kaiser Permanente. MMMC continues to be a community hospital, open to everyone regardless of their insurance provider, or even their ability to pay.
As the operator of 38 hospitals across the country and in Hawaii, Kaiser Permanente carefully balances and prioritizes funding. Here on Maui, Kaiser Permanente is addressing our most urgent needs first, and in some cases these projects will take time to accomplish. In the immediate future, Kaiser Permanente has committed to:
- An upfront investment of $20 million for a state-of-the-art electronic medical records system and IT infrastructure.
- An investment of $5 million per year through 2025, for capital improvements.
- A $30 million line of credit to support working capital and cash flow.
In addition, long term priorities for improving healthcare on Maui include:
- Initial focus on expanding Orthopedics, Women's & Children's Health, Cardiology, Oncology, Emergency/Urgent Care, and Behavioral Health.
- Investment in subspecialty and specialty care to provide 24/7 coverage, reducing the number of Maui residents who need to fly to Oahu for care.
- Expanding the continuum of care by working together with Hale Makua, Kula Hospital and other Maui healthcare organizations.
Your generosity will continue to be vital to the success of Maui Health. Hospitals across the nation have gaps between their revenues and expenses, and they rely on their community-supported foundations such as Maui Health Foundation to augment their needs.
In the fast-paced nature of healthcare, there will always be ongoing needs, newer technology, additional expertise required and more efficient ways of providing care. In order to create and maintain a state-of-the-art hospital open and available for you and everyone on Maui, we must all work together. Mahalo for your support!
Maui Health Foundation's mission is to engage our community and visitors in supporting our hospitals to ensure Maui Health delivers the highest level of patient-centered healthcare.
Richard North, a Kihei resident who passed away in 1995, was so moved by the care he received at Maui Memorial Medical Center that he bequeathed a sizable portion of his estate to benefit the hospital. This generous gift planted the seed that created the MMMC Foundation, a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization supporting our community hospital. MMMC Foundation was renamed Maui Health Foundation in 2019 as its mission has expanded to support all hospitals under Maui Health which includes Kula Hospital and Lanai Community Hospital.
Thanks to generous donors, a volunteer Board of Directors and a dedicated staff, Maui Health Foundation:
- Purchases state-of-the-art, lifesaving medical equipment.
- Funds capital building and expansion projects.
- Supports education and training for clinical staff.
- Funds patient assistance programs.
- Participates in community outreach activities.
- And much more!
We invite you to make a difference at your community hospitals by making a secure online donation. Your gift is tax deductible.
Mahalo for your support of our community, our hospital and our foundation.