Maternity Services for Expecting Moms
Congratulations and welcome to Maui! We are honored to be a part of such a special moment in a woman's life as an entrusted place of care. Maui Memorial Medical Center offers tours for expectant mothers and their family every Wednesday (except holidays) at 4 p.m. Additionally, we offer a Childbirth Education Class once a month on a Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. This class includes the hospital tour. The 2019 class schedule can be found below. For more information, or to register for the class or tour, call 808.242.2352. You can also pick up a registration form from your obstetrics (OB) provider.
The Childbirth Education Class will cover topics that include understanding the labor and birth process, breastfeeding, newborn care, pre-registration, what to bring to the hospital, visiting hours and visitor policies, security, and many other common yet important questions and answers.
2019 Childbirth Education Class Schedule
Here are some quick answers to some of the most common questions we receive from expectant mothers:
- We highly recommend pre-registering prior to your due date so the check-in process on delivery day is faster and less stressful. Forms are available at the Admitting desks in the MMMC main lobby.
- If you arrive at MMMC to give birth between 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m., you can enter through the main hospital entrance and check in at the admitting desks. If you arrive after 8:30 p.m. or before 5:30 a.m., check in at the Emergency Room and they will escort you directly to the Obstetrics Department.
- Hospital policy allows for no more than three coaches or doulas in the delivery room. Additionally, children under 12 are not permitted in the room during labor and birth.
- Once your baby is born ID bands will be placed on baby and mom, and one support person. It is a good idea to decide who the support person is beforehand as bands cannot be removed or changed because they are secured. Support person must be at least 18 years old.
- Maternity rooms are assigned upon delivery at a first-come, first-serve basis. Patients will be provided a private room at no extra charge as availability permits.
- Recommended visiting hours are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. for family and friends, excluding your designated support person who is allowed 24 hours a day. Please be respectful of other mothers and their babies when having guests in your room.
- On the day of discharge, you must have a federally approved car seat installed properly in your vehicle. This is a state law. We recommend that you practice installing the car seat prior to discharge day to ensure that your baby can be transported home safely.
- Before you leave the hospital you can complete a birth certificate with the Birth Certificate Clerk and request a social security number for your baby at the same time. For questions regarding your newborn's paperwork, please call the L&D Clerk at 808.242.2352.
- Follow the instructions provided to you before discharge for recovery and newborn care. Be sure to make and keep follow-up appointments as instructed.