You can't predict when a sudden, even life-threatening illness or injury will occur. But you can depend on rapid, high-quality emergency care at Maui Health should you need it.
We provide emergency medical services 24 hours a day at three locations.
Maui Memorial Medical Center Emergency Department
The Maui Memorial Medical Center (MMMC) ER is a Hawaii State designated Level III Trauma Center for advanced trauma care for major injuries. We're also a designated Primary Stroke Center. This means that our team can provide rapid treatments for a stroke right here on Maui. Quick treatment can help limit the risk of permanent disability.
We provide care for people of all ages, regardless of insurance or ability to pay. Our ER sees more than 50,000 visits a year. This means that the providers and nurses who work there provide a high level of care every day.
Notable features of the ER include:
- Language interpretation services. We want to ensure that our patients and their families understand the care and treatments that we offer to them.
- Fast-track care. If your illness or injury is less serious, you might be seen by an advanced practice provider through our fast-track system. This system helps reduce ER wait times while providing an appropriate level of care.
- Access to diagnostic testing. This allows our team to quickly find out what's causing your medical problem so treatment can begin.
- Complete care at one location. MMMC is the only ER on the island with advanced resources, including access to a wide range of medical specialty services. This allows you to stay on Maui—and closer to your support network of family and friends—for your treatments and follow-up care.
- A team of recognized experts. Our ER team has earned many awards and recognitions from such groups as the American Stroke Association and the American Heart Association. Our department supports continuous and specialized training for the staff. Our providers are board-certified and residency-trained in emergency medicine. And our staff members regularly renew their trauma, emergency pediatric and advanced cardiac certifications.
Comprehensive care for traumatic injuries
We're the island's only trauma center. And you can rest assured we have what it takes to care for you right here on Maui, even if you are seriously injured in a car crash or any other type of accident.
When a trauma alert activates, all the necessary specialists and clinical staff are ready to quickly treat the arriving patient, who might have a brain injury or some other severe trauma.
The team that mobilizes includes a specially trained trauma surgeon. The surgeon is supported by trauma nurses as well as providers trained in neurosurgery; plastic and reconstructive surgery; cardiothoracic surgery; vascular surgery; and orthopedic surgery.
They work alongside many other MMMC experts to provide a high level of trauma care for the community.
Kula Hospital Emergency Department
Kula Hospital's ER offers urgent and limited rural emergency care for Maui's growing up-country population and may be an option if your medical problem is non-life-threatening. This means you don't have to drive to MMMC to get care for situations such as:
- Cuts that may need stitches.
- Broken bones and other injuries that may need x-rays and splinting.
- Wound care.
- Cold or flu symptoms.
The Kula ER staff is also equipped to administer IV fluids and medications, among other treatments.
And because Kula is less busy than MMMC, wait times are typically much shorter for our Upcountry community. On weekdays, you might even have little to no wait.
Lanai Community Hospital Emergency Department
You also can get emergency care on Lanai.
A doctor who is board-certified and residency-trained in emergency medicine will see you in the Lanai Community Hospital ER at any time, day or night. The ER has access to certain imaging and lab services, which helps the staff quickly evaluate and address a variety of urgent medical conditions.
Lanai Community Hospital's ER provides 24-hour urgent and limited rural emergency care and can treat illnesses and injuries that typically are less severe and complex.
What to expect at a Maui Health ER
When you arrive at one of our ERs, a highly skilled team will efficiently assess your condition and provide care as quickly as possible.
You also will be cared for with compassion. We know that no one wants to be in the ER. An emergency visit can be scary. Our caring team is there to support you and your loved ones.
We treat you like part of our family. In fact, many people we care for are our family and friends. It's one more reason we always strive to go the extra mile for everyone we help.
- Emergency services
- When to go to the hospital for COVID-19