Maui Memorial Medical Center
Living with a gastrointestinal (GI) problem isn't always easy. Some symptoms, like bloating, heartburn and indigestion, can be disruptive and painful. Other digestive health problems can be potentially more serious.
But should you ever need a highly trained specialist to help you with a GI problem, we are here for you. You will find advanced procedures and personalized care at Maui Health.
The GI experts on Maui
Gastroenterologists are doctors who are trained to treat diseases of the GI tract, including problems with the esophagus, stomach, colon, gallbladder, pancreas, liver and rectum.
You might need to see one of these skilled providers if, for instance, you are experiencing:
- Abdominal pain or bloating.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Blood in stools or changes in stool color.
At Maui Health, we offer both inpatient and outpatient gastroenterology services.
GI providers see patients and perform procedures at Maui Memorial Medical Center (MMMC) and MMMC Outpatient Clinic.
GI conditions we treat
These are some of the conditions we help diagnose, treat and manage:
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Celiac disease.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease or colitis).
- Barrett's esophagus.
- Pancreatic disease.
- Biliary tract disorders, such as gallstones.
- Liver disease.
- Viral hepatitis.
- Gastrointestinal cancers (such as esophageal, liver, stomach or colon cancer).
- Fecal incontinence.
- Motility problems (which affect the way food moves through the digestive tract).
Advanced GI procedures, close to home
If your doctor suggests having a GI procedure, you don't have to bear the expense and inconvenience of leaving the island for a trip to Oahu. We offer many procedures, including advanced endoscopic techniques like ERCP, right here on Maui.
For example, ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) can be used to remove gallstones from the bile or pancreatic ducts without surgery. Not all GI doctors have the training to perform ERCP.
We can even help you avoid a GI problem in the first place. The team provides colon screenings—such as colonoscopy—for cancer prevention and early detection.
Other procedures and services we offer include:
- Upper GI series.
- Barium swallow.
- Barium enema.
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), including upper GI endoscopy.
- Liver biopsy.
- Dysphagia and aspiration/swallowing evaluation.
- Abdominal x-ray or ultrasound exams.
- CT and MRI scans of the abdomen, liver, biliary tract and pancreas.
- Esophageal dilation.
- Placement of the Bravo capsule to monitor acid reflux.
- Botox injections to treat conditions such as achalasia (swallowing problems) or gastroparesis (delayed movement of food through the stomach).