Maui Health’s long-term care services are provided at two facilities: Kula Hospital and Lanai Community Hospital.
Kula Hospital: Special care in a beautiful setting
Located 3,000 feet above sea level on the southwest slopes of Haleakala, Kula Hospital's long-term care facility has 105 beds. This is a skilled nursing facility, licensed for adults 18 and older. Most of the residents are seniors, but Kula Hospital also is home to individuals with intellectual disabilities in our Hale Makamae unit. In addition to long-term care, Kula Hospital also offers urgent and limited rural emergency care.
Our high staff-to-patient ratio ensures that each resident gets the care he or she requires. The services and features of Kula Hospital's long-term care program include:
- Rehabilitation, including speech language pathology, physical therapy and occupational therapy.
- A dietitian, who makes sure meals meet the highest nutritional standards.
- Access to a variety of recreational activities, such as tai chi, bingo, arts and crafts, drumming classes and art therapy classes. Residents regularly take trips into the community for special events and for shopping. Religious services are also provided.
- Beautiful grounds. Kula Hospital's campus has the look and feel of a national park, flush with fruit trees. Residents can hear the sound of flowing water from the Circle of Joy fountain.
- A gorgeous rooftop garden with a panoramic view of the mountains. Residents use the rooftop to grow strawberries, vegetables and herbs. This bounty is used in the facility's cooking classes. The rooftop also houses the facility's Activity Department for Recreational Programming.
- A family gathering area is found on each floor, where residents can visit with their loved ones and take part in activities.
Lanai Community Hospital
Lanai Community Hospital's 10-bed long-term care facility provides the only long-term care for the island of Lanai. Many of the residents in this facility have family ties to the Island of Lanai.
Like Kula Hospital, the unit is managed by a director of nursing and has a team of registered nurses, certified nursing assistants and a registered dietitian. A team of inter-disciplinary, ancillary care providers is available to meet the needs of our residents.
In addition to long-term care, Lanai Comunity Hospital also offers urgent and limited rural emergency care. If additional medical care is needed, transfer can be coordinated to our sister hospital, Maui Memorial Medical Center.