Neurological problems can affect many parts of your body. Whether you're experiencing low-back pain, carpal tunnel or an emergency like stroke, the neurosurgeons at Maui Health can help.
We have some of the nation's foremost experts on our staff. They'll help you get better—without surgery whenever possible.
You can experience this world-class care without stepping foot off the island. In fact, some of our patients travel from the mainland to have neurosurgery here on Maui.
How we treat back pain and other neurological problems
Though our team includes experts in neurosurgery, most of the time we help people get better using conservative measures, like physical therapy, injections and holistic therapies.
We believe strongly in this approach, and we'll look at both conventional and holistic conservative therapies before we start talking about surgery.
If you do need surgery, you're in great hands at Maui Health. Our team includes the highly skilled neurosurgeons from Maui Brain and Spine: Christopher Taleghani, MD, and Joel Ulloth, MD. They see patients in the Maui Memorial Medical Center Outpatient Clinic.
Drs. Taleghani and Ulloth are recognized as leaders in their specialty. And, because Dr. Taleghani is regarded as one of the world's leading minimally invasive surgeons, he is often asked to teach the techniques to other surgeons.
Conditions we treat
Maui Health's neurosurgeons offer low-back pain treatment as well as help with many other conditions of the brain, spine and peripheral nervous systems.
Here are a few of the problems we can treat:
- Carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes.
- Degenerative disc disease.
- Facet arthropathy (arthritis of the facet joints in the spine).
- Herniated discs.
- Hydrocephalus (in adults).
- Infections of the brain or spine.
- Neck and back pain.
- Radiculopathy, such as sciatica.
- Spinal fractures.
- Spinal stenosis (a narrowing of the spinal canal).
- Spondylolisthesis, in which a vertebra slips out of place.
- Stroke and brain bleeds.
- Tumors of the brain or spine.
Minimally invasive spine surgery
Many spinal conditions can be treated with minimally invasive techniques that our neurosurgeons are known for. With these techniques, surgeons minimize trauma to healthy tissues.
The benefits over traditional surgery include a faster recovery, less post-operative pain and minimal scarring. For some procedures, you may even go home the same day.
Some of the more common procedures we perform with minimally invasive surgery include:
- Discectomy to repair or remove a herniated disc.
- Spinal decompression to relieve pressure within the spinal canal causing pain, numbness or weakness.
- Fusion to join together two or more spinal vertebrae.
For more information about our services, contact Maui Memorial Medical Center Outpatient Clinic or visit MauiBrainAndSpine.com.