An important member of your healthcare team while staying at Maui Memorial Medical Center (MMMC) or Kula Hospital is one you may never meet: your pharmacist.
Maui Health's pharmacists work behind the scenes, filling medication orders and compounding medications for inpatients. They don't fill prescriptions for outpatients or the general public.
Although you might not meet your pharmacist during your inpatient stay, you can be assured that the pharmacist is fully involved in your healthcare. They are part of a professional team ensuring high-quality patient care and safety.
The pharmacists at Maui Health:
- Use state-of-the-art technology to ensure medications are dispensed properly and safely.
- Review all medication orders to be sure they're appropriate and safe.
- Monitor patients throughout their medication treatment.
- Educate patients about their medications when needed.
- Provide information for nurses and providers.
The pharmacy team—which includes a clinically trained pharmacy staff and a technician trained in sterile compounding—also makes sure the medications they supply are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Health providers should know that Maui Health's inpatient Pharmacy Department offers clinical services such as:
- Anticoagulant dosing and monitoring.
- Renal dosing adjustments.
- Therapeutic interchanges.
- IV-to-PO conversion.
- Antibiotic dosing, monitoring and streamlining.
Maui Health's pharmacy services are for inpatients only. Below are some of the outpatient pharmacies available on Maui.